Recent Posts

Still not a cooking blog, but how I love to eat

This morning I woke up to run and it was still night out, what did that mean? I got to see a beautiful sunrise.  God is so loving; every morning he makes the sunrise for us and I hardly ever see it.  I want to appreciate the different ways he shows me love everyday.  In any case, I went running so I can afford to eat whatever I want.  One of those things: salsa verde. I almost exclusively talk about Mexican food, but it is just so.darn.good.

The how-to's and what-its of chicken enchiladas with salsa verde
1) roast a chicken (or buy a rotisserie chicken from the store, I'm not ashamed, I love food, but time is money)
2) buy tomatillos, peel them and drop them in a boiling pot of water (Oh oh, edit: by peel I mean take the leafy stuff off, don't peel the skin!)
3) heat up the oven and roast 2-3 peppers in there, I use serranos but use whatever you can, salsa is not picky and maybe 1/2 an onion (if you want some sweetness in the salsa)
3) shred up the chicken
4) pour some oil in a frying pan, bout 1/2 cm deep
4) heat it on medium high
5) microwave some tortillas or buy them fresh and roll up some chicken in them, like a flauta
6) to seal your flauta, put it fold-side down into the hot oil, probably takes about 1-2 mins to seal up, you can put in several at a time
7) line a 9x13 or smaller (however many your are going make) pan with your sealed flautas
8) meantime (if you have a helper) whenever the tomatillos change color (they get yellowish) they are done, turn off the stove
9) once done, drain them, and you have to core them. yes. it hurts, they were just boiling.  two knives are helpful, or a fork
9 and 3/4) the tomatillos absorb a lot of water, so they may squirt, try to keep all of that on your cutting surface
10) dump all the green stuff into a blender, that includes some cilantro, add depending on how much you are making, for like 1.5 pounds of tomatillos I added about a cup of the leafies, also about a teaspoon of salt and pepper each... blend blend blend
11)take the peppers and onion out of the oven, should be good and soft and hopefully kinda burnt! the peppers are really going to have a kick...
12)add peppers one or half at time.... add blend taste, add blend taste... stop when it gets too hot
13) if you want to kick in some sweetness, add the onions, blend
14) pour your hot goodness over the enchiladas and stick in the oven to warm back up... like 5-10 minutes or so

Serve with Mexican sour cream and cotija cheese. yes.

Wishing I were in TX today,
MJ

5 comments:

Russell said...

i can vouch for the satisfaction that one experiences after partaking of this wonderful meal. it is grand.

"helper!" that's me!

Molly said...

mals, don't make me feel guilty. this is salsa VERDE. that means it is HEALTHY. all green things are healthy. and you said that THIS is the kind of thing you eat after a good run. i eat ice cream. and cupcakes (which david calls muffins, it is his way of coping).

Malsi said...

Haha, true, green=health. Well, I meant the tortillas, sour cream and cheese mostly, I put a fair share of the cheese on there

Also, last time I eat these I dessert-ed with Mississippi mud :)

I think I might adopt David's muffin=cupcake strategy

Malsi said...

whoa!

.... I ATE these...

I'm in grad school.

Megan said...

I just want to say that I really appreciate your cooking-ness.

Also, the only reason I run is so I can keep up with my cooking/eating/baking. I literally just walked in the door from a 5 mile run and as soon as I get out of the shower I am making the Root Beer Cake I saw on Today's Letters. And maybe eating 3/4 of it. Maybe all. I can't know.