Recent Posts

Sammy Sosa is white?!



This irritates me.  This is actually one of the reasons I don't straighten my hair anymore (I do like how it looks, but I just can't).  As if Dominican racial ideas weren't screwed up enough, Sammy Sosa's gotta go off and get white. This is diatribe A.

Soapbox B:  I know why academics don't watch TV.  It's not because they don't have enough time (well, they don't but there's more to it), it's because they learn all this theory and stuff and then, even when they just want to enjoy some mindless entertainment with say, I don't know, FRIENDS or something, they start watching it, it's funny, but in the back of their mind all they can think about it how many gendered messages the show sends out! It's crazy! It's sexist, which is an issue, but they are just so gosh darn funny!  I still watch, but graduate school has somewhat dampened the mindless-ness of FRIENDS.  Which is unfortunate, but oh well, there are other shows that don't have that effect.

 Non-soapbox, straight-up blog style: This next month MAY kill me, many, many pages of reports and papers due in the next four weeks.  I've decided to pray over my work, because I'm concerned that I've made these projects about me when they are really about the people I'm writing about and somehow for the kingdom.  Don't know how that all pieces together, but I believe it does.  I've found a great community at church here, I very much look forward to Sunday mornings and (when graduate school isn't trying to sit on me) Sunday lunch.  The graduate-faculty ministry here has been a huge blessing as well.  Such a great group of believers who love God and love people.  I haven't been too involved this semester (graduate school is somewhat of a lifestyle shock), but I'm looking forward to next semester.  I won't necessarily have more time or have this whole grad school business figured out, but I'll be more prepared?

Lastly, I bought a Mid-Western winter coat last weekend.  It hasn't been cold here yet, but I'm starting to piece together my necessities for the snow fall.  Okay, enough of an update, must be off to getting dinner, grading papers and working on projects!

Itching for a taco,
Mals

10 comments:

Molly said...

i like your hair better curly. it's gorgeous. how does one whiten their skin? that sounds painful. i had no idea about sammy sosa. although, i don't like sports, so i barely knew who sammy sosa was even when he... got a bunch of homeruns? (right? wasn't that it?)

let's get tacos! mmmm. we should get tacos at fuzzy's in fort worth sometime. i think you would like it. they have garlic sauce and cilantro. it is quite different but also quite yummy.

i'm going to have to mention this sammy sosaness in my african american lit class. have you seen the preview for the new sandra bullock movie? i'm not sure how i feel about it. it's called blind sight or something. go watch the trailer. and feel weird and offended with me.

yesterday david was talking about anatomyness and he used a male body part for a female body part and i was like, "OH NO YOU DIDN'T! don't force your male language on my experience! i will not be silenced! i must express my wild zone!" or something like that. but i'm not too grad school-y because i still use "like" to express thoughts and emotions and states and not just preferences.

i love you!

Malsi said...

Yes, home runs! He and some other guy, who was white. I remember being annoyed sometime back when cause I thought people only wanted the other guy to win because he was American.

Fuzzy's sounds delightful! Can we also go to Tin Star at some point?

Saw the Sandra Bullock trailer. I do feel weird. Haha, good job Molly! Break out of gendered language! We will not be sexed and lock in a kitchen! Although, I do like cooking. The other day, people were talking about women's something or another and someone said, "Yeah, it's like they don't know that we are real people and we don't have to just submit to any man." To which I said, "WHAT?! We don't have submit?! That's REVOLUTIONARY!" I thought it was really funny, this is why I'm not very grad school-y either. I also made a reference to Kanye West a few weeks ago.

Unknown said...

i like your hair better curly as well. and i really like your reason for not straightening your hair.

hahaha, sammy sosa did get a bunch of homeruns. BUT he never broke the single season record. mark mcqwire (who i rooted for) beat him in their famous home run race. i only know this because i used to watch a lot of baseball in my youth. not so much anymore.

on the FRIENDS thing, this isn't exactly the same, but the political scientist in me screams any time i watch the news on tv. not because they're ridiculous and they spread misinformation and reinforce stereotypes (it's their right to do that if they want), but the fact that people actually watch it and think that what they're watching is the truth. i guess it's sort of like someone watching friends and thinking "well, monica's a cook, rachel's a waitress and ross is a professor. what's wrong with that?" ...aaaahh! so much is wrong with that!

Unknown said...

hahaha i didn't see malsi's comment before i posted mine. just to clear up my looking ethnocentric right now, i didn't root for mark because he was white or american. i rooted for him because my dad went on a business trip to st. louis and brought me back a big poster of mark mcgwire after watching him hit 4 home runs at a cardinals game while he was there.

my favorite player was ken griffey jr. just sayin'.

Molly said...

whatever russell. i know you're a secret toby keith fan...

i never really thought about their professions on friends before but for realz... and pheobe's a masseuse. and chandler is a businessman. but rachel does get pretty successful with fashion. and monica is the HEAD chef. so that's legit.

i have stopped myself from so many taylor swift references this semester. but i have not stopped myself from harry potter references. i can't stop it. it is too goooooooood.

Molly said...

i think i'm going to start signing all e-mails "itching for a taco"

Malsi said...

Hey! you know what you can do? sign all your blogs with "itching for a taco" or my personal favorite "remembering the alamo" what do you sign emails with? russell and i discussed this at the beginning of the year, "Best, MZ" is my go-to

"my daddy served in the army, where he lost his right arm..." that's for you lawry.

Molly said...

"best" is like THE sign for academia it seems like. which is why i don't use it. i usually don't sign it in any way, i just put my name. sometimes i say thanks first. and i never say "dear so and so." they usually aren't very dear to mw.

Unknown said...

i wish i could say "cheers" at the end of my emails. it just feels unnatural, but i like it. the brits at the state dept used it all the time.

haha, i wonder if jt signs his emails "bringing sexy back." he should. like the body of the email is all professional-like, then at the end...

bringing sexy back,
jt

Washed Up said...

I don't straighten my hair much either for the same reason! Who knew? But ya know, I do straighten it sometimes though just cause I like it better straightened for certain outfits. Depends on my mood.

Also, I'm still hypersensitive about the race issues. Not as much though. However, you really shouldn't have said everyone wanted him to win because he was "American." We just thought everyone wanted him to win because he was "white"... therefore making him an "American". Difference. But you know it is still a little true even though he ended up legitimately winning. <--hypersensitivity

Pretty hypersensitive about sexism too. For example, never trust a man who opens a door for only women! The "gentlemen" will reveal his demon. I never discriminate against who I hold open doors for. Even for those dirty hipsters and their bug infested dreads flapping airs in my face... yes I'm aware of what just happened at the end of this paragraph.

Discriminating openly,
Massiel