Recent Posts

Click-Click of Heels and Getting on Ground Level

Last week in teaching I did two things:

1) I wore these babies... Ow, Ow! But really, ow, heels hurt.  Walking in heels across campuses really hurts.
and
2) I squatted in front of my students' desk every time they asked a question during the group work segment

The first I did because... well heels command more authority!  As some one that looks approximately 15, I need all the additional authority I can get!  Did the heels make a difference?  The jury is still out.  But the second, well that one just happened as I was circulating about.  It made a difference.  I admit, I felt like I was in the Cove Kids Building at the Bluffs, but the nonverbal was such a big change!  I'm no linguist, so I can't say much on it, but they just seemed to respond better and I could more easily communicate with them than when I hover over them and explain standing up.  Maybe it's less dignified to squat, but I don't really care too much for that, and if I did... well, I guess that's where the heels come in.

Grading papers for the wee ones,
MJ

Extry note: I wore heels and it of course hurt... BUT, the next day, I wore Keds.  The standard of comfort? Not.  My heels did not give me blisters; the Keds tore.me.up.  I am confused about this, it's like the world is getting turned about :)

1 comments:

Russell said...

Holla! Way to go Malsi! I'm proud of you and your wicked awesome teaching skills. You're learning so much while you teach! I would have a crush on you if I were on your class. Heels are so attractive.